Wednesday 13 March 2013

Crochet outfits from long ago

My lovely mother-in-law Marion has given me a crochet booklet from the 60s or 70s (I can't see a date on it). It's by B.K.Wools Ltd of Heckmondwike in Yorkshire who also produced the recommended yarns - Courtaulds D.K., Crepe D.K. and Crepe 4-ply. Here are some pictures from the booklet.

This is the front cover - how elegant is this evening dress - and how thin would you have to be to wear it with confidence!

It took 28 balls of DK (it doesn't say the weight of the balls) for a 32 inch bust - maximum size is 36 inch. 












Here is the back cover, a sleeveless mini-dress, 32 - 26 inch bust, length 31 inches, taking 12 - 14 balls of double knitting.







And here is one of the inside pictures - a snazzy waistcoat, skirt, jumper and beret ensemble. Reminds me of Pan's People's outfits on Top of the Pops. 

You would need 35 balls for the whole lot, assuming you are size 32 inch - again it only goes up to size 36 inch so no use for those of us who are a little chunkier!

1 comment:

  1. I found your site by chance, searching to find what had happened to B K Wools. I designed the crochet book of patterns for them in 1970. I had a hand crochet business, for 20years, and they asked me to design a book of patterns for them. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete